Content & Photos © Bill Schmoker unless noted otherwise. Thanks for visiting- drop me a comment!

Sunday, October 04, 2009

Kingbird Confirmation

I had the pleasure of birding at of my favorite places on Colorado's Eastern Plains yesterday, The Nature Conservancy's Fox Ranch. While this working ranch is closed to the public, Ted Floyd arranged for a small group of us to conduct a bird survey on the property yesterday. Click here for Ted's summary of our trip (including 6+ Le Conte's Sparrows, a staggering number for Colorado).

One of the many interesting birds we found was this kingbird. We are presuming it to be a Western Kingbird but given the late date (the bulk of Westerns clear out of CO by mid-September or so according to Colorado Birds by Robert Andrews and Robert Righter) and the similarity of a few other more southerly kingbird species, I thought I'd post a couple of pics of the bird so folks can have a gander and chime in on the ID if they feel so inclined.

Unfortunately, this is the only angle of the bird that I have- no shots of the back or from the side which would be very informative.

No comments: