Content & Photos © Bill Schmoker unless noted otherwise. Thanks for visiting- drop me a comment!

Sunday, March 01, 2009

A Simpler ID

After my adventures with the Slaty-backed-like Gull yesterday, I went to Belmar Park in Lakewood, which sports a lake that waterfowl (including divers) are fond of. The lake also has several good vantage points including several viewing decks, and some fairly tame birds. Much to my delight, a couple came along armed with a bag of bread and attracted this Lesser Scaup along with the usual Ring-billed Gulls, Mallards, and Canada Geese. The hilarious thing is that even though the scaup was picking up some bread, it kept diving while it fed- force of habit, I guess. The tricky part was getting the bird framed clear of the rest of the birds, but I stayed with it and got probably my best shots of this species, which I've usually found to stay frustratingly far out from shore.

No comments: